Arvigo Maya Abdominal Therapy*
Healing for these Conditions
- Headaches & migraines
- Digestive disorders
- Low energy
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Gastroesophageal reflux (GERD)
- Chronic constipation
- low Backache
- Chronic indigestion or heartburn
- Restricted breathing due to tension
- Crohn’s disease
- intestinal spasming
- painful periods
- post surgical recovery
- Uterine Polyps
- organ prolapse
- heavy bleeding
- Frequent urination
Difficult Pregnancy & Delivery
Difficult Menopause or peri-menopause
- Dark, thick fluids at the beginning & end of menses
- Blood Clots
No menstruation at all
Headaches/ Dizziness with menses
Tired legs, numb feet sore heels
Lower back ache
Contraindications, Cautions, and Modifications
The Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy® are safe and effective with few contrainidcations of untoward outcomes. There are certain conditions where application of these techniques are either contraindicated or require modification. Please consult with your practitioner if you have any questions.
During active menstruation
IUD (intra-uterine device for contraception) is present
Immediately after abdominal surgery
Active infection or cancer present in pelvic area, or while undergoing chemotherapy
During the first trimester (19 weeks) of pregnancy (modification)
Hiatal Hernia (gentle massage required)
Active and acute infection
Pessary for uterine prolapse (remove prior to your session)
Any serious health condition that causes you concern
- Fertility Ideally, it is recommended to refrain from trying to conceive for three months while you are following the Maya Abdominal Therapy protocol. This gives your womb time to build optimal health to support conception and carrying to term. It is best to receive this work prior to receiving IUI or IVF treatments. Who knows? You may be able to conceive without these interventions! Please note that I do not schedule same day appointments. Please read this article on what to expect.
- Assisted Reproductive Technologies Women who are in fertility treatments will schedule between the time your last menstrual bleeding ended and prior to ovulation. Please note that I do not schedule same day appointments.
- Post Surgical Adhesions/Scar Tissue Maya Abdominal Therapy (ATMAT) softens adhesions (scar tissue) from surgeries or traumas to the pelvic and abdominal area, improving blood flow to the pelvic organs as well as the uterine lining, and often alleviates painful menstruation, aids digestion, and helps resolve urinary incontinence or other bladder issues that may have developed because of these adhesions. Often there is immediate improvement!
- Uterine Prolapse/Cystocele/Rectocele Maya Abdominal Therapy is helpful for stages 1-3 prolapse. If you have a stage 3 prolapse you will have to be especially committed to the protocol for optimal results. Experience shows that a commitment of 6 months focus on treatment is required.
- Preconception Support Supports health before conception, thereby improving pregnancy-related outcomes. Maya Abdominal Therapy and herbal preparations may help you balance and restore your moon cycles after use of birth control hormones or following a pregnancy by helping to regulate your periods and stimulating menstruation if you are not menstruating. It is part of an integrative healthcare model promoting healthier women, babies and families. Perinatal Education is offered, as well.
- Endometriosis Endometriosis takes time to resolve. A six-month commitment to the process is recommended. The manual therapy is essential, and is combined with nutritional, herbal and supplement support.
- Fibroids Fibroids generally grow slowly. A six-month commitment to the process is recommended. The manual therapy of this work is essential; nutritional, herbal and supplemental therapies will be recommended. If your fibroids are 10cm or smaller this approach may be helpful for you.
You have introduced me to my body and I am more aware now as how body and mind are connected/intertwined. The experience has been relaxing, joyous and peaceful. I also enjoyed and learned Maya Abdominal massage from you. I practice it on myself very often. You have been an excellent caregiver in its totality. You are so apt to your name Angel(a).Thank you from the bottom of my heart for being there.
Shilpa S., Germantown, MD
What to Expect
While each session is unique in many ways, here is what you can expect in a session:
Comprehensive review of your personal health history and current health care needs.
Abdominal massage focused on aligning reproductive and abdominal organs
Evaluation and application of structural alignment of spine with attention to the sacrum, lumbar and thoracic spine.
Instruction in Self Care Home techniques to enhance your professional treatment session
Recommendations of complementary modalities:
Castor oil packs
Faja (organ support wrap)
Bajos (traditional vaginal steam bath of the Mayas – pronounced ba-hos)
Nutritional and or lifestyle education and adaptations
First, thank you for today. You truly are a gift in my life and I’m happy to have found you. I appreciate your baring with me. I feel wonderful since our appointment. Not 100% but as close as I’ve come since before I was pregnant. Surprisingly (to me anyway, although I’m sure maybe not to you), I’ve got a lot of fear around this. I was (and still am a little bit) fearful of losing this mostly pain-free existence. Anyway, I’m looking forward to doing more work with you. I think you are very good for me.
C.L., McLean, VA
To Read More Testimonials Click Here
Orienting to this work
This work is very personal. During this process, you will likely share relevant life experiences that have shaped who you are. It is my intention to create a safe space to hold these tender stories. Men and women often feel that these sessions are a sacred gift to themselves.
The sessions will synthesize the Maya work with the subtle, profound touch of Biodynamic Craniosacral Therapy*. At times I work more physically with fascia and muscle, and at others, perhaps moments later, I work more subtly.
Vaginal Steams are recommended for many women’s reproductive health challenges. The steams are available to add on to treatment sessions. or as stand alone services.
To receive the benefits of Maya Abdominal Therapy, a commitment of 4 to 10 sessions is necessary, depending on the extent of the challenges you face, to achieve desired results. I recommend 3 to 6 follow-up sessions as necessary support for achieving your desired outcome.
Here is the Process
If you are coming from a distance you may wish to consider scheduling the intake session through Skype.
- In the first session we go over a comprehensive health intake form that is seven pages long. This can be done in person or through Skype. Resources will be shared with you that are relevant to your health challenge(s). 1.5 hour session.
- The second session requires that you come to my practice in Bethesda, Maryland to receive the treatment itself. If you are a menstruating woman, this will be scheduled during a time when you are not bleeding, nor 5 days before the expected onset of your next cycle. 1.5 hour session.
- At our third session I will teach you how to do the abdominal work on yourself, which also required your presence at my office. This will give you a valuable tool to use to support your healing process now, and which can be used for any challenges you may face in future. In this session we will also get a folder with recommendations & resources. We’ll go over comprehensive recommendations to support your deepening and continued process of healing and regaining optimal health. 2 hour session.
- This follow-up session is scheduled about a month out from your first treatment session. If you are a menstruating woman, this again will not be during your bleeding time, nor 5 days prior. The purpose is to assess progress, fine-tune treatment to orient to any shifts that have occurred up to this point and for you to receive a treatment. 1.5 hour session.
You’ll receive a total of six and a half hours of consultation and treatment time to give you a firm foundation to transform your health.
Many people like to continue treatments to receive additional support and guidance as their symptoms improve, and other aspects of their health become a priority.
Get Your Questions Answered
Schedule a free 20 minute call to discuss any questions you have about this work.