Regarding the new epidemic of the swine flu virus, we recommend prophylactic (preventative) doses of one of the following:
Gan Mao Ling is a Chinese Herbal formula well-known for its anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties; there are some wonderful anti-viral herbs in Chinese medicine and this formula is the best. Many people take this 4 to 5 times per week through the winter just to prevent those “flu bugs” from taking hold. In addition, I always take it when I’m going to fly and I’ve never come home “sick”. Ten drops daily in a little water is a good prophylactic dose. If you get any symptoms, up the dose to 20-30 drops 2-3 times/day. For children under 3 years, 2 drops daily; 4-12 years old, 5-6 drops daily.
Zhong Gan Ling is a Chinese Herbal formula recommended if you get symptoms with a fever. Alleviates severe cold and flu symptoms like sore throat, stuffiness, and achiness with a fever.
If you would rather do homeopathics, these are both favorites:
Influenza Multi-Strain Flu Formula – contains 16 proven official homeopathic remedies shown effective for everything from the common flu to the largest of epidemics and pandemics of the past 100 years. This is a water-based formula.
Flumax Pro – another homeopathic with the best of official flu “nosodes” that counteract all strains of influenza. This is an alcohol-based formula.
And, of course, these natural defenses against the flu should be considered:
* Optimize your vitamin D levels: Some researchers believe that therapeutic dose could be as high as 1000 units per pound of body weight for three days
* Avoid Sugar and Processed Foods: Sugar decreases the function of your immune system almost immediately
* Get Enough Rest: Just like it becomes harder for you to get your daily tasks done if you’re tired, if your body is overly fatigued it will be harder for it to fight the flu
* Have Effective Tools to Address Stress: Make an appointment for acupuncture, chiropractic, massage, or Reiki
* Exercise: Exercise increases circulation and blood flow. Components of your immune system are also better circulated, which means your immune system has a better chance of finding an illness before it spreads
* Take a good source of omega-3 fatty acids.
* Wash Your Hands: Washing your hands will decrease your likelihood of spreading a virus to your nose, mouth or other people. Be sure you don’t use antibacterial soap for this — antibacterial soaps are completely unnecessary, and they cause far more harm than good
* Eat Garlic Regularly: Garlic works like a broad-spectrum antibiotic against bacteria, virus, and protozoa in the body. Unlike with antibiotics, no resistance can be built up.
* Avoid Hospitals, unless having an emergency. Hospitals are prime breeding grounds for infections of all kinds.
If you are considering Tamiflu please note:
According to Alice Bello, editor of Healing Pathways reports:
In the case of Tamiflu, a flu medication an approved for treatment of uncomplicated influenza A and B in children 1 year of age or older and for prevention of influenza in people 13 years or older, thousands of cases of abnormal behavior, neuropsychiatric problems like convulsions, delirium or delusions, and brain infections, have been reported.
Tamiflu went through some rough times in 2007, as the dangers of this drug came to light when the FDA investigated 1,800 adverse event reports related to the drug. Common side effects of Tamiflu include: